My Spirit Exults in God
Hannah sang –
“My heart exults in the Lord; my strength is increased by the Lord. … Indeed, there is no one holy like the Lord, indeed, there is no one besides you, there is no rock like our God.1 Samuel 2:1a, 2 ISV
And then Mary sang –
“My soul praises the greatness of the Lord! My spirit exults in God, my Savior, because he has looked favorably on his humble servant. From now on, all generations will call me blessed, because the Almighty has done great things for me. His name is holy. His mercy lasts from generation to generation for those who fear him. He displayed his mighty power with his arm. He scattered people who were proud in mind and heart. He pulled powerful rulers from their thrones and lifted up humble people. He filled hungry people with good things and sent rich people away with nothing. He helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful, according to the promise he made to our ancestors— to Abraham and his descendants forever.”Luke 1:46-55 ISV
And we sing …
Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name, and make his deeds known among the people. Sing to him! Praise him! Declare all his awesome deeds! Exult in his holy name; let all those who seek the Lord rejoice!Psalm 105:1-3 ISV
We rejoice exuberantly because God intervenes on our behalf! He is our deliverer – His rescue is sure, although we have not yet seen our final redemption. It’s that uncomfortable place of “already, but not yet!” BUT still, we rejoice. Not one of those simple, polite lady-like applause. No, this is all out, rejoicing at the touchdown, shouting – hands up, hearts large, voices loud!
What song are you singing today? What does exultation look like for you? For what are you praising God today!??
Mary rejoices, praising God for His miraculous work in her life. Her words echo Old Testament praises:
- Psalm 9:1-2: I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.
- Psalm 25:5-6: Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.
- Psalm 34:3: Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together.
- Psalm 69:30: I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.
- Psalm 115:1: Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness.
- Isaiah 12:2: Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.
- Isaiah 25:1: Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.
- Micah 7:7: But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
Our voices echo New Testament praises –
- 1 John 5:11: And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
- Ephesians 1:7-8a: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us-
- Romans 5:1: Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ
- Romans 8:1: Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus –
- Colossians 1:13-14: For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Eternal life, redemption, forgiveness, the riches of His grace, justification, peace with God, life in His kingdom of light … these and more cause us to rejoice, to exult in God, our Savior!
Father, let all who take refuge in You today be glad, let us sing for joy! Shelter us, Lord, so that we may exult in You! May we exult in your holiness, justice, and righteousness. Remind us to wear our joy on our faces and to express our joy in kindness to others. We praise your name! Amen.
If you want to continue reading, may I suggest …